Bridget Canning was raised on a sheep farm in Highlands, Newfoundland and currently lives in St. John’s. Her debut novel, The Greatest Hits of Wanda Jaynes, was published with Breakwater Books in April, 2017 and selected as a finalist for the BMO Winterset Award, the Margaret and John Savage First Book (Fiction) Award, the 2018 NL Book Award for Fiction, and the IPPY Award for Best Fiction, Canada East.
In February, 2017, her film synopsis Water from Stones was selected as one of the five winners in the From Our Dark Side Genre Film contest, a national competition to promote women in the genre film industry. Currently, she is busy with a number of projects and finishing up an MA in Creative Writing at Memorial University.
Bridget is available for writing feedback and freelance work. She also conducts manuscript evaluations through the Writers Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador. Details available here.
Below are a few links to Bridget’s publications you can read online or download.
“Writing Wanda Jaynes” published with The Newfoundland Quarterly
“Gutless” published with The Word Hoard, November 2016.
“Bradley + Molly 4ever,” (excerpt) Short Fiction Winner, 2016 Newfoundland and Labrador Arts and Letters Awards
“Seventeen Minutes,” Fiction Winner, 2016 Literary Writes Competition, Federation of BC Writers
“Hands in Pockets,”which was shortlisted for the 2015 Cuffer Prize.
“Colleen’s Birthday,” Short Fiction Winner, 2015 Newfoundland and Labrador Arts and Letters Awards.
Master of English Literature (Creative Writing), Memorial University of Newfoundland (January, 2017 – present)
Master of Literacy Education Degree, Mount St. Vincent University (April, 2014)
Bachelor of Education Degree, Intermediate/Secondary Education, Memorial University of Newfoundland (August 2009)
Bachelor of Arts Degree, English – Major, Women’s Studies – Minor, History – Minor, Memorial University of Newfoundland, (April 1997)
AWARDS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Bronze IPPY Award for Best Regional Fiction, Canada East for The Greatest Hits of Wanda Jaynes
- Finalist for the 2018 Margaret and John Savage First Book Award (Fiction) for The Greatest Hits of Wanda Jaynes
- Finalist for the 2017 BMO Winterset Award (The Greatest Hits of Wanda Jaynes)
- Selected as one of five winners of the From Our Dark Side genre film contest, 2017
- Cox and Palmer SPARKS Creative Writing Award, 2017
- Short Fiction Award, Newfoundland and Labrador Arts and Letters Awards, 2016
- Fiction Winner for Federation of British Columbia’s 2016 Literary Writes competition, 2016
- Semi-finalist for the Disquiet International Literary Contest, (The Greatest Hits of Wanda Jaynes, novel excerpt) 2016
- Shortlisted for The Cuffer Prize, 2015
- Selected to apprentice with the Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador’s Mentorship Program, 2015
- Third Prize, Quarter Castle Publishing’s Short Story Contest, 2015
- Honorable Mention, The H. R (Bill) Percy Novel Prize for The Greatest Hits of Wanda Jaynes (formerly titled Impulse), 2015
- Short Fiction Award, Newfoundland and Labrador Arts and Letters Awards, 2015
- The Patricia S. Barnes Memorial Scholarship, 2011/12
- Essay “Questions and Answers on Flight and Butchery” in Best Kind. (Breakwater Books, 2018)
- Short Story “Bradley and Molly” in What’s Written in the Ladies: Photographs and Scribblings (2018)
- First novel, “The Greatest Hits of Wanda Jaynes” (Breakwater Books, 2017)
- Short story, “Gutless” in Word Hoard, November 2016
- Article, “El Apprendiz,” in WORD, The WANL Quarterly, Summer 2016
- Short story, “Apartment 312” in Riddle Fence #23, 2016
- Short story, “Seventeen Minutes” in WordWorks, Summer 2016
- Short story, “Hands in Pockets” in The Telegram, February 2016
- Short story, “Indonesian Rice Salad” in Quarter Castle Chronicles, Volume One
- Fiction Podcast, “The Black Lit Brawl” (as part of The Naked Parade Writing Collective)
- Radio Play “Catechism” (adaptation of Wayne Johnson’s short story). Broadcast through CHMR fm.
- Short story, “Colleen’s Birthday” in Galleon Magazine, Dec. 2014
- Short story, “Catastropheka” and photography in Paragon Six, Jan. 2015
- Poem, “Driving to Stephenville” and photography in Landwash, Spring 2014
LITERARY WORKSHOPS AND PROJECTS
- Flash Fiction Working with WANL, March 2018
- Landfall Trust Writers Residency, May 2017
- Co-writer on short film “Casey”, selected for the Picture Start program, Spring 2017
- Volunteer Fiction Editor for Riddle Fence magazine
- Collaborative Fiction Podcast “Naked Parade, The Podcast,” with author Lisa Moore and The Naked Parade Writing Collective, winter, 2016. Broadcast on the CBC YouTube Channel.
- Winterset Emerging Writers Workshop, August 2015
- Collaborative Fiction Podcast, “The Blacklit Brawl,” with author Lisa Moore and The Naked Parade Writing Collective, spring, 2015. Broadcast online with The Overcast.
- Radio Play Workshop with author Ed Riche at Memorial University, Fall 2014. Broadcast through CHMR.fm.
READINGS AND APPEARANCES
- 2018 Winterset Festival, August 2018
- 2017 Winterset Ceremony, March 2018
- The Foglit Festival, September, 2017
- Word Vancouver, September, 2017
- Word on the Street, Halifax, September 2017
- Canada 150 Literary Tour NL, August, 2017
- Ottawa International Writers Festival, July 2017
- Spring Tides Reading Series, June 2017
- Sparks Literary Festival, February 2017
- WANL and Riddle Fence, Fall Readings 2016
- Lawnya Vawnya Festival, May 2016
- Mallard Cottage Writer in Residence Reading, April 2016